Assist in the planning, organizing, implementing, evaluating, and directing of the overall operation of the Social Service Department in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, our established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the Director of Social Services and/or Administration
Reports to the Assistant Administrator
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
(All responsibilities may not be performed by all incumbents.)
- Completes all pertinent social service documentation, including but not limited to, initial social history and assessments, quarterly notes, change of condition notes, hospitalizations, room changes, etc.
- Completes all MDS assessments and components as assigned.
- Develops care plans to address areas such as mood, behavior and psychosocial issues and participates in the care planning process along with the interdisciplinary team.
- Provides counseling to residents and their families as needed.
- Reviews advance directives and assists with implementation of new advance directives, i.e. POAHC’s, Living Wills, Health Care Surrogates, and Do Not Resuscitate orders.
- Attends all meetings as assigned, i.e. daily house report, resident safety and behavior, care plans, dept. meetings as appropriate or required.
- Makes referrals as appropriate to other professionals, i.e. psychologist, psychiatrist, hospice
- Communicates with outside agencies who are also providing services to residents to coordinate care, i.e. dialysis, hospice.
- Completes involuntary petitions as needed for involuntary admit of residents for hospital psychiatric treatment.
- Provides discharge assessment and planning, including areas such as housing, medical, home health care, financial, etc.
- May receive and or assist in follow-up of complaints, missing item reports, abuse reports.
- Works closely with the admissions dept and reviews referrals for appropriateness of placement.
- Assists in areas of staff in servicing, staff counseling, and staff orientation.
- Promotes Resident Rights and privacy of resident information (HIPAA)
- Promotes Resident Centered Care and our Mission Statement: Sunny Hill is a person centered community of individuals who build relationships with people who choose to call Sunny Hill their home.
- All other duties as assigned.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED
Computer, fax machine, telephone, copy machine and calculator.
EDUCATION AND PREVIOUS RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in Social Work or related field
- Or any combination of education, training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
- Must be able to work harmoniously with other staff and volunteers.
- Must possess patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm.
- Must be able to relate information concerning a resident’s condition.
- (With or without the aid of mechanical devices)
- Must be able to speak and write the English language in an understandable manner.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the day.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so the requirements of the positions can be met.
- Must function independently and have flexibility, personal integrity and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel, volunteers and support services.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Must be able to relate and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and hostile people within the facility.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull a minimum of 50 pounds..
- Must be able to assist in the evacuation of residents.