RN Charge Nurse – Part Time
Assumes direct responsibility and accountability for the nursing care of facility residents under his/her care. Supervises the nursing personnel including LPNs, nursing assistants and health service aides. Complies with nursing standards, federal/state nursing regulations and the policies and procedures of SHNH. Responsibilities include defining, planning, organizing, directing, managing, implementing, evaluating nursing care provided to SHNH residents.
Reports to the Director of Nursing
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Completes and documents comprehensive nursing assessment of the health status of resident and addresses changes to resident conditions.
- Develops and implements an interim plan of care.
- Provides and documents observations and delivery of care according to established guidelines
- Accurately transcribes and implements authorized healthcare professionals orders
- Accurately administers and documents medications and treatments
- Communicates and collaborates with other health care professionals
- Responds appropriately to emergencies and protects residents and staff from accident/injury by following safety procedures
- Assists in maintaining department/unit budget through appropriate monitoring/ usage of unit and resident supplies and monitoring of staff time (appropriate breaks and meals). Reports discrepancies to the DON or her designee
- Assists with orientation and ongoing mentoring of peers.
- Supervises LPNs, nursing assistants and health service aides in the provision of resident care
- Monitors employees to ensure that proper care and service is provided to residents and responds to problems in resident care accordingly
- Maintains environment of care in a neat and orderly manner
- Assuring resident safety
- Performs other duties as assigned by the DON, ADON or RN house supervisor.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Medical records (charts) and all related forms.
- Diagnostic and consulting reports
- Staffing schedules
- Feeding tube pumps, blood glucose monitor machine, IV pumps, blood pressure machine, oxygen analyzer, oxygen tanks and concentrators, suction machine, SCD machine, ear thermometer, electric lifts & stands, weight scales, fax machines and computers.
EDUCATION AND PREVIOUS RELATED EXPERIENCE
- R.N. by State of Illinois
- LTC and supervisory experience required
- Customer service abilities including effective listening skills, critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, strong communication skills and leadership abilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Long-term care and supervision.
- Accu-Care computer program.
- Computer applications related to work.
Skills required to:
- Multiple step calculations using algebraic and geometric principles.
- Recognition of definitions for difficult or uncommon jargon and technical terms based on context, figure out general underlying principles of advanced procedures and concepts.
- Write strong, high consistent business communications that are related to overall business functioning.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Engage in formal one-on-one verbal interactions with company personnel and external customers.
- Make formal presentations for in-service education.
General ability to:
- Ability to speak and write in a clear, concise, creative and professional manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, residents and family members.
- Ability to determine outcome of resident care and staff performance.
- Discipline staff and input changes in policies and procedures.