Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Under the direct supervision of Registered Nurse, the Licensed Practical Nurse provides nursing care within the scope of licensure for assigned residents according to established nursing standards and SHNH policies and procedures while assuring resident safety.
Reports to the Director of Nursing
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Administers medication, performs treatments and resident care responsibilities as prescribed.
- Consults with and keeps the RN informed of activities, symptoms, reactions, and changes in the resident’s condition.
- Provides pain management and educates the patient and family
- Administers medications following the 5 rights of medication within the scope of practice.
- Assist with the rehabilitation and treatment of patients in accordance with the plan of care.
- Assists physicians with examinations treatments and special procedures and performs services requiring technical and manual skills as directed by the Registered Nurse Treats residents and families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural and religious/spiritual needs of residents and families and communicates to the Social services
- Obtain required consents for treatment
- Interacts professionally with resident/family and involves them in the formation of the plan of care
- Assists with admitting, discharging and transferring of residents
- Accurately documents resident condition in the nurses notes (EMR) Taking lab samples from patients including urine and stool
- Taking and recording residents’ vital signs such as B/P, Temp, Pulse, Respirations height and weight
- Feeding of residents who cannot feed themselves
- Recording fluid and food intake
- Initiate tube feedings as ordered
- Preparing and giving injections and enemas
- Monitoring and changes catheters
- Maintaining the resident’s room and equipment to ensure proper functioning and safety.
- Performing clerical work answering _phones, booking appointments.
- Participating in the development of the residents individualized plan of care
- Accurately document all care given and orders received
- Initiates emergency assistance per policies and procedures
- Initiates CPR procedures when there is a sudden cessation of heart beat or respirations unless an active DNR in place
- Maintain the confidentiality of the residents clinical record
- Practices within the scope of the Illinois Nurse Practices act and understands legal consequences of nursing action
- Carrying out the resident plan of care under the direction of the RN, including addressing changes in resident’s condition, provides and documents observations and delivery of care according to established guidelines
- Accurately transcribes and implements authorized healthcare professionals orders as necessary
- Simple wound care
- Assist in maintaining department budget through appropriate monitoring/usage of unit and resident supplies and monitoring of staff time (appropriate breaks and meals).
- Report discrepancies to the DON or designee
- Assist with orientation and ongoing mentoring of peers
- Assigning supervising and assisting C.N.A’s in responsibilities/assignments such as feeding assistance, recording food and fluid intake, maintaining resident’s room and equipment and environment of care, answering call lights, toileting residents, maintaining resident use of medical equipment such as catheters and oxygen etc. Making needed appointments for residents, addressing care issues and calling physicians, lab pharmacy, family etc.
- Initiating and completing all incident reports, concern forms, missing items reports etc. Performs other duties as assigned by the DON, ADON, or RN Supervisor
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Medical records (charts) and all related forms.
- Diagnostic and consulting reports
- Staffing schedules, feeding tube pumps, blood glucose monitor machine, IV pumps, blood pressure machine, oxygen analyzer, oxygen tanks and concentrators, suction machine, SCD machine, ear thermometer, electric lifts & stands, weight scales, fax machines and computers.
EDUCATION AND PREVIOUS RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing and possession of an encumbered license.
- Long-term care and supervision.
- Point Click Care medical record software Computer applications related to work.
- Multiple step calculations using algebraic and geometric principles.
- Recognition of definitions for difficult or uncommon jargon and technical terms based on context, figure out general underlying principles of advanced procedures and concepts.
- Write strong, high consistent business communications that are related to overall business functioning.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials. Engage in formal one-on-one verbal interactions with company personnel and external customers.
General Ability to:
- Ability to speak and write in a clear, concise, creative and professional manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, residents and family members.
- Ability to determine outcome of resident care and staff performance. o Discipline staff and input changes in policies and procedures.