Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) – Full and Part time – all shifts
The Certified Nurse Assistant provides resident centered care to residents while assuring resident safety as established in Sunny Hill Nursing Home policy and procedures, current standards of care, and practice and applicable state/federal regulations under the direct supervision of an RN/LPN.
Reports to the Director of Nursing
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Give and assist resident with daily dental and mouth care, and bathing functions (bed bath, shower).
- Completes or assists residents with dressing and undressing as necessary.
- Feeds and assists residents requiring help at mealtimes.
- Assist or perform alone per resident individual care plan; any lifting, turning, moving, positioning, and transferring residents into and out of bed, chairs, and wheelchairs.
- Keeps incontinent resident clean and dry; assist resident with bowel and bladder functions.
- Answer call lights of residents and assist residents as requested.
- Inform Charge Nurse of any changes in the resident’s condition.
- Performs daily skin observations and notify charge nurse of any abnormalities in skin integrity.
- Take and record temperature, pulse, and respiration as directed; records intake and output as directed.
- Participates in shift report and walking rounds.
- Supervises activities of residents to assure safety.
- Performs restorative procedures as instructed.
- Change bed linens on occupied and unoccupied beds.
- Maintain resident’s closet, dresser drawers, and night stand in a clean, neat, and orderly condition.
- Maintain shower rooms, utility rooms, nourishment room and dayroom in a clean, neat and orderly condition. Keep resident equipment clean.
- Stock and replenish supplies and equipment as required.
- Documents assigned resident care in point click care in a timely and accurate matter
- Participates in the orientation of new and temporary staff.
- Observe resident’s rights including but not limited to privacy and dignity when rendering care.
- Maintains a cooperative manner towards residents, family and all members of the SHNH team.
- Practices good body mechanics during lifting and other physical exertions to prevent injuries to self and/or to others.
- Follow standard precautions and use personal protective equipment as required.
- Reports all resident complaints and concerns immediately to the charge nurse.
- Meets annual in-service requirements in accordance with SHNH policy and state regulations.
- Participates in care plan with other member of the interdisciplinary team as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality in relation to all residents, healthcare staff and documentation.
- Appearance is professional and complies with SHNH dress code.
- All other duties as assigned.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED
Resident personal care items, Wheelchairs, manual/electric lifts and stands, height for adjustable beds, ear thermometer, scales, shower chairs, blood pressure machines and gait belts.
EDUCATION AND PREVIOUS RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Must have a CNA certification from an approved program.
- Must be on IDPH Nurses Aide Registry for Illinois or reciprocal state.
Must be knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as Laws, regulations, and guidelines that pertain to long-term care.
Skills required to:
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such
- Deal tactfully with residents, family members, visitors, personnel and government agencies/personnel and the general public.
- Must be mature and emotionally stable.
- Must have the ability to perform one-step calculations using +, -, x and whole number.
- Must have the ability to perform one step calculations using conversions of measures.
- Must have the ability to read short, uncomplicated passages of elementary vocabulary and basic company policies, procedures and announcements.
- Must be able to recognize the application of complex instructions involving several steps and cause and effect relations.
- Must be able to recognize broad topics and words with multiple meanings and application of technical terms and jargon to similar situations.
- Must be able to recognize and apply complex information to new situations, identify implied details and explain the purpose behind policies and procedures.
- Must have the skills to write basic business communications related directly to specific work tasks.
- Must have the ability to engage in informal one-on-one discussions with other company personnel.
- Must have the skills to engage in formal one-on-one verbal interactions with company personnel and external customers.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability and high energy levels.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must be able to relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and at times hostile people within the facility.
- Must be able to see and hear or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to assure that the requirements of the position can be met.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and move a minimum of 50 pounds.