Activity Director And Volunteer Coordinator
Oversees and assists with development and implementation of medically approved recreation programs for nursing home residents to meet residential physical, mental, and psychosocial needs as identified through assessment and as mandated through federal and state regulations. Coordinates the volunteer program and supervises department staff.
Reports to the Administrator
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
(All responsibilities may not be performed by all incumbents.)
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, evaluates, and directs the activity programs including such programs as arts and crafts, dramatics, religious, intellectual, recreational, social and service oriented programs. Coordinates activity outings, transportation program, and activities with other departments as necessary. Supervises Sweets and Treats Shop.
- Makes recommendations to administrator regarding department operations, regulations and personnel.
- Assists in the development, training and overall compliance with department policies and procedures. Keeps abreast of federal and state regulations and professional standards to make recommendations for changes in policies and procedures. Reviews policies and procedures at least annually and recommends updates and changes. Reviews and develops a plan of correction for deficiencies noted during survey inspections.
- Participates in the development and implementation of activity care plans and coordination with the interdisciplinary care plan team. Completes comprehensive resident assessments for activity needs upon admission, quarterly reviews, updates, and significant changes through personal interview or interview with family/ representatives and in coordination with the care plan team. Shares assessment results and care plan information with the activity department staff.
- Supervises department staff which includes hiring staffing personnel, scheduling, delegating authority and assigning responsibilities, reviewing and updating job descriptions, enforcing policies and regulations, conducting in services and orientations, standardizing work methods, reviewing activities staff charting, recommending corrective action, and reviewing performance.
- Maintains confidentiality, reviews resident rights with department staff, and forwards complaints and issues to appropriate staff.
- Prepares department budget for Administrator’s review, monitors expenditures and makes recommendations to stay within budget.
- Responsible for coordination of the volunteer program, including interviews, orientation, training, assignment, and supervision.
- Undertakes monthly publication of the resident newsletter.
- Responsible for the development of the monthly activity calendar.
- Serves on or assists with various related committees such as Resident Council meetings, QAPI, Friends of Sunny Hill, Marketing, Resident Safety, Resident Behavior, and Employee Safety.
- Produce and retain Resident Council meeting minutes reports on a monthly basis.
- Assists with public relations and marketing activities; coordinates fundraising efforts.
- Maintains safety and sanitation standards for residents and staff.
- Ensures that all residents are and will continue to receive care that reflects the goals and principles of “Resident Centered Care”.
- Punctual, regular, and predictable attendance
- Performs other related duties, as assigned or required.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Various related office machines, including computer, printer, calculator, copier, fax and telephone.
- Handles equipment and supplies in a safe manner.
- Reports any unsafe conditions to the maintenance staff or administrator.
- Pushes residents in wheelchairs, reclining chairs, etc. in a safe manner.
- Provides for the safety of residents at programs and on outings.
- Becomes fully informed of the Wanderguard System used for resident safety.
EDUCATION AND PREVIOUS RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Social Work, Occupational Therapy or related area preferred, or
- Two years of recent experience in a social or recreation field in a health care setting activity program.
- Related Long-term care and supervisory experience preferred; and Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists, Licensed Social Worker , Occupational Therapy or related certification/license preferred.
- Must maintain related professional licenses and/or certifications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Operations, activity programs, policy and procedures, personnel and IDPH regulations.
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong communication and public speaking
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Conflict management
- Planning and budgeting
- CPR and First Aid
- Understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and Sunny Hill Residents
- Must deal tactfully and harmoniously with staff, residents and family members.
- Ability to create and maintain policies and procedures.
- Must be able to lead staff and provide direction in the daily activities of residents.
- Must possess patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm.
- Ability to understand, interpret and adhere to all policies and procedures pertaining to general Sunny Hill policies and resident’s rights.